Thursday, October 11, 2007

I've just booked out from camp. School of Infantry Weapons so nice, saturday public holiday and we get an off day tomorrow, friday. This is something unheard of in my own unit. Ha, I guess the instructors in the school also wants a long weekend. The best place to be as an army regular is definitely in training schools and institutes. Can go home everyday unless there's outfield of live firing.

Wondering if I should go book my physio again, but I really need to see the doc again and get him to give me a referral for MRI. My ankle is acting up again, now even walking hurts. This is becoming worrying. I just hope it's because my body is not used to going outfield again this week.

Yesterday evening in bunk my friends were having a debate on religion. I've got this friend, B, who likes this very attractive girl, let's call her S. S is a very innocent girl and a very pious and devout Christian. B likes her and wants to be with her very much. But the thing is, he is not a Christian and S told him she cannot be with a non-Christian as much as she likes him.

My friend B then sort of complained to my bunkmates about this, questioning why can't a Christian be with the person they very much like or love. I was sitting in a corner reading my newspaper when they turned to me and asked," Eh Bryan, you're a Christian right?" And that got me dragged into the whole debate.

I may not have been around church for a while but I am a Christian through and through and defending Christ in the face of persecution is something I would not think twice about. A debate about the different religions became a mini attack on my beliefs and fending off accusations and questions and statements that Christianity is very hard to comprehend spent me.

In the end, I told them nicely but firmly that they are looking at Christianity from the outside, and to truly understand how Christians can devote and sacrifice so much of themselves, they need to experience it firsthand. I also told them something that Pastor David once said a long time ago. Christians are not angels or holier than thou beings. They are in fact people who recognize that they are shit without God and thus the church is a place full of shit and shitty people.

I told my friends that being a Christian is a very difficult life to live at times and is a constant struggle, but at the end of it, all the sacrifices are worthwhile and it is with the end in mind that gives us the strength to go on.

Having said that, I recognize that right now I am unable to give up certain worldly ideals and possessions. It is a continual struggle between spirit and flesh, and I have to say honestly that the flesh currently has the upper hand. I'm not someone who believes in the Chinese idiom "the boat will straighten naturally when it reaches the bridge". Proactive action has to be taken to correct the incorrect.

It is a mighty task, but having defended my Lord yesterday, albeit a tiny debate, it reminded me once again of who I really am ultimately: an ugly, ugly person who only God finds beautiful despite all my imperfections.

And before I forget, here's a very Happy Happy Birthday to a very special friend of mine. =)






HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE TAY:p