Sunday, October 7, 2007

Bryan is currently attending the 156/07 Active GPMG Commanders' Course at School of Infantry Weapons

And what a week it has been at SIW, Pasir Laba Camp. Four nights off in the week and a Friday bookout at 1800 hours. Life in the infantry seems so.... tempting. Welfare is key. The course commander is a cannot make it warrant officer, the course warrant is a very nice Malay master sergeant who seems eager to please, and the fellow trainees are all nice people, be it 2SIR, 3SIR, 6SIR, 1 Guards, 3 Guards, even Navy. Just that one irritating staff sergeant from OCS.

For Pete's sake, you are a fellow trainee just like us, not an instructor. This is not OCS, we are not officer cadet trainees, so please stop shouting at us, asking us if we're not interested. Some people just make it so easy to be public enemy no. 1. Anyway, the course itself is not anything new, given I've learned the GPMG during my leader course. But that is not to say I am a master of it. Quite far off la. I am such a slacker and I think I performed one of the worst during the technical handling test.

I'll be there until 16 Oct. It'll be back to Hendon Camp and straightaway it'll be either continuous guard duty again or standby duty, confined in camp. :( I do ask myself sometimes, besides the pride in being a commando, what else is there? Is it really worth going through so much more than my peers just for that 1 second where people go 'wah, commando sia'? The more I think of it, the more I think it ain't worth it. I am a conscript soldier, I didn't choose to be a soldier. So you can't blame me for thinking like a civilian trapped in the military. If they increase my pay by 100% then maybe I won't be complaining haha.

Anyway, ORD is coming soon la. Just 7 more months, slightly more than a semester to go thinking in school terms. This Wednesday's payday, many guys in Singapore would be smiling..