Tuesday, August 21, 2007

To all NYP MK0304 mates, the Army Open House will be held from 30 Aug to 3 Sep at SAFTI Military Institute/Pasir Laba Camp. For the first time since we enlisted, the five jokers will be together at the same place for 5 days. Do come down and visit because it would be fun.

I'll be a vehicle guide for the ride in this attraction called Missions World, where the public will sit in an army 5-ton truck and view the various army units fighting a mission. Armour tanks would be firing, combat engineers laying their bridges, guardsmen rappelling from helicopters etc.

I may not be a fan or advocate of conscription, but this army open house will showcase what the SAF is best at: deterrence. This AOH is also somewhat of an eye-opener for me too. The past year in NS has been all about whacking and whacking and whacking the enemy and then disappear. That is the bread and butter of special forces.

So it will be something new to me too to see how the various units in the army work and coordinate their plans e.g. Armour clearing the battlefield first, Artillery shelling the area, Guards securing the seized territory, Signals and Combat Service Support providing essential services... It will be interesting.

I've been given a super long weekend, lasting from last friday night till tonight. This is because of the AOH, which will burn my weekend two weeks from now. I went swimming, shopping, eating, chilling at home, watching tv.. Oh man, the life. It's drawing nearer and nearer and nearer.

I dunno which will come first, global recession or my ORD? I'm contemplating saving my money the old-fashioned way, in a piggy bank. DUn wanna risk the bank closing down on me.