Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Am A Leader, Follow Me!

It was yet another week of hard manual labour in camp this week. We had to clear the whole old company line of all the beds, mattresses, cupboards, fans, fridge (?!) and all sorts of junk. By the later part of the moving process, people were simply throwing cupboards down the staircase, so maybe we did the contractors a favour by partly demolishing the stairwell. That's commando nature for you - destructive.

Besides being like bangla workers after office hours, we had to go for airborne training with combat equipment. This time I am very very very sure that I will not think twice or hesitate about jumping out the aircraft. The freaking equipment and rifle is so heavy I was seriously worried that my back would just snap any moment during training. Even if I land on the tarmac again I would not complain. I would be happy just to get the bloody load off me.

This week I also met Luke and Clarence in camp. They were back for reservist training. I never knew Luke was a commando medic, and the impressive collection of cars on parked at the reservist car park could very well form a car show on its own. The Beemers, Dodge, WRXes and all that.

I had lunch with Clarence at the cookhouse yesterday and he was happily flashing his pink i/c in front of me. :-/ And he can go for lunch in t-shirt and shorts. My time will come.

And on top of my 3 x extra duties, I now have to clear all the rubbish in company line every morning and evening and wash the toilet for the whole week, myself. That is punishment for leaving camp for nights off without waiting for the DO to clear arms. My 2IC was so furious he gathered all the leaders and gave me a good dressing down.

"If you are a man, never mind I can excuse your ignorance. But you are a f***ing leader!", he screamed at me. I really thought I was never gonna book out again. Now my 2IC is a really nice guy, a captain at the age of 27 and a US Ranger. This is the first time he lost his cool ever since becoming 2IC.

After that, when everyone else went for nights off, my CSM talked to me and thereafter I went to apologise to my 2IC. He talked to me nicely and explained certain things and reminded me again that I am a leader.

So despite whatever personal problems I have, I still must act professionally and responsibly. Now I must write out and memorise the Leaders' Creed. It's tough being a sergeant, sandwiched in between the men and the officers' corps. But I will do my best to fulfil what is expected and befitting of a leader.

Leading by example, I will accompolish all my assigned tasks to the best of my ability. I am a leader by choice and by vocation. I will lead by example

Endurance will be the hallmark of my leadership. I will place my mission as paramount importance and I will not rest until I have completed my mission

Aggresively will I tackle all problems. I will never let my commanders and men down, for they rely on me to discharge my duties

Duty is my maxim. I will always be true to my responsibilities. I will never shun the hardest work nor will I avoid the dullest task. I will display the selfsame energy to all tasks at hand

Effectively will I lead my men in battle and in peace. I am responsible for their welfare and will demand for standards both in training and in combat

Resolutely will I honour the trust bestowed upon me. I will use my initiative. I will apply my dare and skill. I will not fail. I am a LEADER. FOLLOW ME!