Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Driving In The Fast Lane

So I've passed my bridging course at the second attempt. Managed a respectable result from an intensive yet sometimes frustratingly slow two weeks of revision. I burned all of this year's annual leave to prepare for the exams and though thoughts of flying off to some cool breezy beach in a foreign land where I can bake in the sun and frolic in the cool clear waters the whole day have all but disappeared, overall I am satisfied.

Ever since I went back to work after my exams, life has been boringly routine. My piggy bank has not recovered from the humongous damage caused by my major purchase of the year: the Apple iPhone. After lessing of student discount, I fished out $898 to re-contract with SingTel for another two years and got a 16GB iPhone after queueing for 5 hours on launch day.

That will probably one of the most disastrous decisions I have made, the waiting I mean. Against better judgement, I concurred that, as SingTel put it, only those with appointments would be allowed to collect their iPhones. What I did not bet against was, 10,000 other people had appointments too! Sleek marketing move there by SingTel huh. Create a human chain that snaked round ComCentre and spilled onto Killiney Road.

I went there at 11.30pm 21 Aug and emerged from the cube-like structure specially built for the launch of the iPhone at 4.30am, exhausted, dehydrated, and wallet substantially lighter. Was the time spent queuing worth it? Definitely not. Was the $898 price tag justified? Well, maybe, if I was earning $8980 per month then it would be just a ripple in the pond. In this case, it caused a tsunami.

These past few months working and studying have opened my eyes to a whole new world. I have the utmost respect for people who juggle full-time jobs and study at night. Throw in a girlfriend or boyfriend, and it would be seemingly impossible for anyone to have a life. Thus, I am quite happy that I am a part-time office worker and full-time student, though I still wish that my working hours are reduced further. I am grateful that I have my friends with me in the office everyday so going to work isn't such a pain.

My stamina have decreased dramatically, as seen in yesterday's futsal game. In the first hour, I was all over the pitch, putting the ball in the back of the net 7 times. But the second half against a different team made me feel like a pedestrian. I couldn't run, couldn't challenge the second balls, and scored a very, very lucky goal. My team was dismantled mercilessly by what I feel, was a team that we could easily beat on our day.

It correctly proved the theory that has been in my head for the past month - that Samski is without a doubt the most important man in our team. Two matches ago, he did not turn up for the game. Despite our best efforts, we lost every single match even though we had the tenacious Eugene, the class of Timmy, the predatory instinct of Elvin, the trickery of Ian, and the safe pair of hands of, well, Ah Son.

I still find it hard to believe that with a team that has played together for so many years, we were easily beaten by soft goals from veterans who would look as at ease on a couch watching tv. The following week, Samski re-joined and we went on to terrorise everyone. Yesterday, we had no one marshalling the defence, no one to clean up and stop the opposing team's movement. We managed to string together a few good attacking plays but I just didn't have it in my legs for box to box play yesterday. I am still aching.

There were a few moments worthy of mention though. First of all, is of course Elvin's marvelous solo goal. He won the ball through a tackle, went on a mazy run, and beaten every man to slot the ball through the legs of the keeper into the net. And I was on the opposing team. Fantastic stuff. The second one to me was a total fluke. It seemed to me that Elvin fumbled the ball while attempting to get past Roland, but somehow it became a feint that only Ronadinho seemed to be able to pull off, played a through pass to Timothy and I can't remember what happened after that, only that the two of them went running off to some corner shouting and laughing merrily.

Call me a football fanatic, but it is precisely because of these moments, the moments where I get to see my grown-up friends laughing unreservedly with the widest grins, the camaraderie experienced after pulling off a good team effort to score a goal, and the look on my girlfriend's face when told that she would be in the car with my three friends whom I was giving a lift, and who, like me, smelt like we just took a bath in the sewage after the game, that makes me look forward to soccer with my mates every week. :p

It's past my bedtime, and I am pretty certain I will end up in the back of a cab to school tomorrow.


Good night :)